Okay...I have to talk politics one more time, and then I promise, I will be done.
Let me start by saying, our household is very pleased with the results. We have been Obama fans for a long time. I can remember watching the Democratic convention 4 years ago and Jonathan commenting (when Obama was speaking) that he would be our next president. Now, here we are.
To say that my family and I don't see eye to eye on politics in an understatement!!! The only thing that we can agree on is to disagree. A lot of people think that we (Obama supporters) voted for him, just because he is black. I don't care if he is purple, green, white, or polka dotted - my support for him has nothing to do with color. I am so glad that I live in a place and time that myself, and especially my children do not see "color". Growing up in a small town in rural PA - that was not always the case, and is currently not always the case. Living in a multicultural area, and being a teacher has opened my eyes to see the best in all people. I am so proud that my children don't care what color skin their friends have. I see my students in school as unique individuals and I love them all equally. I supported Obama because of the issues. Yes..I want change. Needless to say, I haven't been happy with the way things have been going these past 8 years. I won't even get into that. But, I truly support Obama and believe that he will do good things for this country.
I'm sorry if you didn't vote for him and you are upset that your candidate didn't win. I know how you feel - I've been feeling like that for the past 8 years. But, as my friend Liz said, even though she didn't vote for him, we have to get past that and respect the American choice. He is our president elect and it's time to stop whining.
Owen has especially been interested in the election. He would watch him on TV and of course he listened to us...but he really showed an interest. He asked if we could put a sign in our front yard - he always counted the political signs in the neighborhood. So, when we happened upon an Obama campaign office, we proudly took a yard sign to display. Owen was so proud to have that sign in our yard - Did he really understand the signifigance of it? Of course not, but we had some really great conversations over the course of the past few weeks. I had to restrain him the other morning when he opened the front door and saw that the people across the street had proudly displayed their McCain/Pallin sign. But, it allowed us to have another conversation about respecting others beliefs and political views. Well, imagine our disappointment when we woke up on election morning and somebody had stolen our sign! Another hard lesson in life - he was so upset and once again we had to talk about respecting others views and differences - even thought we weren't treated with that respect. They may have stolen our sign, but they didn't steal our vote.
Sorry to ramble, but I am excited that Obama is our president elect. Even though he won the election, I feel like, being a supporter, I'm in the minority with my family, friends, and coworkers. So, now that I can get that off my chest, I promise to control myself and not discuss politics anymore. I can't promise the same for my future politician son!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
amen! I too understand people being upset but this america,he is the president elect, get over it and support our country.
Exactly...get over it and move on. I'm not sure why it bothers me more this year...I guess having Facebook and Blogs gives people more opportunity to express themselves - but I am tired of the whining!
Seriously I know. My parents have even said one word to me about it. Positive or negative.People should just be proud to live in a country that we have the right to vote in. sometimes you win sometimes you lose.
I'll reserve most of my comments, except for one - ok two rhetorical questions . . .Who's doing the whining here? And where was the unity (which you now expect from the otherside), when the country really needed it during these extremely difficult years?
OK . . I'm done!!
Whoa...I guess I know who you voted for?! Let's just agree to NEVER talk politics, okay?
For me the other side had my unity for the whole 8 years. I voted for Bush so dont assume that just b/c we voted otherwise this time means there is no unity. If Elizabeth Hasselback on the view can get over it then so can every other person who was disappointed!!LOL
Post a Comment