Friday, September 12, 2008

SOS - Save Our Schools

Well, we survived another week of school. It was another successful week. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, but so far this has been the smoothest start to school ever. I have such a wonderful class, the kids are happy, and our schedule is light. Maybe having only one activity is making a difference. It's a good thing only Owen is playing soccer right now, because Jonathan and I will be attending many meetings over the next month or so. Right now, there is a study and a committee has been formed about whether or not to close Stafford Elementary and Stafford Middle. There are several other schools also on the list, but these two are near and dear to us. So, I've been to two information meetings this week. Monday was about the middle school. It is possible that they could close it as early as next year. Meaning, Emma would have to go to a new middle school and there goes the idea of us buying a house near the school. If they choose to close Stafford Elementary, it could be as soon as Logan is starting kindergarten. We don't know where I would be employed or where the kids would have to go to school. It is such an emotional and scary process. I sat through those meetings listening to their justification of closing schools and the bottom line is money. They don't care that some kids will be on the bus for 80 minutes (one way!!!!), or that there will be no sense of community for our schools (SES and Stafford Middle are right down the road from one another). It's all about politics and money. It's very hard for me not to get emotional about it. I'm going to sit down this weekend and write my letters to the Board of Supervisors and the School Board - I don't know what else to do. I always thought my kids and I would stay at Stafford Elementary. Let's just hope they realize that they can't put a price on a child's education!

No comments: